Encourage and enable public participation
Contribute to the future vision of Laois
Developing capacity in local groups
Facilitate better decision making
Identify issues of collective concern
Make a better Laois for all
Laois PPN was established in 2015 and over 300 organisations have registered with the PPN so far. These organisations were asked to choose the theme that they think most accurately reflects their main interests. These themed groupings are known as Electoral Colleges and there are three of them, Community & Voluntary Organisations, Social Inclusion Organisations & Environmental Organisations.
Organisations were also asked to choose the Municipal District in which they are active or in which they are based. There are 3 Municipal Districts in County Laois and these are shown on the map below.
What does the PPN do?
The PPN facilitates the sharing of information on funding opportunities, public consultations and policy development in Laois County and it also acts as a focal point for groups with similar interests to connect with one another and share information and expertise. It also allows groups to nominate and elect PPN representatives to the Committees of Council.
In 2015 elections took place and have resulted in PPN reps being elected to Committees of Laois County Council. More information on these committees can be found here and the names of the PPN reps can be found here. The elections also resulted in the formation of a 12-member PPN Secretariat which acts as a steering group for overseeing the activities of the PPN and acts as the administrative and communication mechanism for the PPN. The names of the secretariat are listed across.
Borris In Ossory/Mountmellick Area Secretariat
Borris In Ossory/Mountmellick Community & Voluntary Secretariat
Borris In Ossory/Mountmellick Environment Secretariat
Borris In Ossory/Mountmellick Social Inclusion Secretariat
Graiguecullen/Portarlington Area Secretariat
Michael J Cobbe
Graiguecullen/Portarlington Community & Voluntary Secretariat
Graiguecullen/Portarlington Environment Secretariat
Graiguecullen/Portarlington Social Inclusion Secretariat
Portlaoise Area Secretariat
Portlaoise Community & Voluntary Secretariat
Portlaoise Environment Secretariat
Portlaoise Social Inclusion Secretariat
Laois County Council's Winter Maintenance Salting Routes available here 2017-2018-Salting-Routes-Co-Map-1 Please visit the Governments Be Winter Ready website on; www.winterready.ie for tips on how to prepare for the cold...read more
CANCELLED Laois PPN's Funding & Resources Event for Community Groups Tuesday 27th February, 2018 5.30pm to 8.00pm Midlands Park Hotel, Portlaoise Information on grants/funding opportunities, training, insurance, advertising...... Workshop on how to...read more
Laois Public Participation Network held a public meeting on Wednesday 17th January in the Killeshin Hotel, Portlaoise to discuss the following Laois County Council Social and Cultural Strategies. The Creative Ireland Laois Plan 2018-2022 The Arts Strategy 2018-2022...read more
What is the aim of Laois PPN?
A) To facilitate and enable the public and organisations to express a diverse range of views and interests within the local government system.
B) To facilitate the local authority in making better and more timely decisions through a structure that ensures public participation and representation on decision-making committees and bodies within local government.
Why should your group join?
- Networking – Share information and learn from other community & voluntary groups in your area or sector.
- Create a sense of solidarity and collative action across the county.
- Elect representatives to policy making boards and committees.
- Avail of free or low cost support and training in the county.
How can your group benefit?
- Get information on funding, grants and initiatives which are of interest to your group/organisation and community
- Be part of a new way for the local authority to consult with the general public on its plans/strategies and services, including: Local Areas plans, County Development Plans etc
- Elect representatives to local authority policy-making committees and influence what happens at these committees
- Networking: share information and ideas, learn from other groups / organisations in your area or sector
- Use the PPN’s interactive web platform to link directly with other like-minded groups and organisations across the County
- Register with a Special Interest Group and focus on areas that interest your group